Friday, December 18, 2009

The Secret Life of Olive Oil

It used to be people would ask me, "Chimp, how much butter do you use for a grilled cheese sandwich?"
My reply was always, "As much as you need and maybe a little more."
Ah, the olden days.
Now, my answer is, "None."
I'll give you a little time to recover.
Ready? OK. Here goes. Just a little olive oil in the bottom of the frying pan. Enough to cover the bottom, but just. You don't need it sloshing around. Heat it--not too hot--then drop that sandwich in there. Drizzle a little olive oil on the top slice, then start pressing. Flip it and press some more.
Cheese melted? Light golden brown bread? You're done. Well, almost. Here, I'm not opposed to cutting. I go for the diagonal cut, usually. Cut it in pan with the spatula, unless you're using a fool plastic spatula and a non stick pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment