Saturday, June 13, 2015

Separation Anxiety


People kept telling me you have to plant corn "in threes" sometimes they might have said "fours" I heard threes. I caught on that the corn had to pollinate one another, so you needed more than one, but I wasn't sure about 'threes'. Like three plants together or three seeds together? I split the diff. Three holes with three seeds each. Might get a corn plant out of that.

9

Cubed. All nine sprooted and grooted. They were right the hell on top of each other in groups of three. Dammit.

So today I got around to separating them. And they were close, so close. And being new to this, I didn't know how far their roots ran. I sent six to the community garden and kept three for the stoop. I intended to do it with a trowel, but you start with a trowel and then finish by hand. It's not that you have to get your hands dirty, it's just that there's no other way. You don't want to slam dirt on these...delicate flowers.

The lads on the stoop are looking good now, a few hours later. The one I was most worried about...uh...grew bigger. Real F.U. attitude this corn has. One fellow is being a bit droopy, but even he is starting to step up. Imma go walk to the peace garden...

Shit. Some of them grew too.

It was all traumatic separating them out. I though for sure I would kill some, and we're not out of the water yet, but a lot of these guys have just said 'fuck it' and decided to keep growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment