Sunday, May 17, 2015

Gotta name my Strawberry plant Darryl

I questioned what I would name my strawberry plant, then realized a true stoop gardener can only name him Darryl. Past the Straw man, you can see Angie, my pepper (anderson) plant. Or plants. Turns out you can plant those seeds in a red or yellow or orange pepper and they will grow something fierce. I don't know if they're some sort of GMO Franken Food, but I'm gonna sit back and study their ways.

The only book I read on all this was "The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible" by Edward C. Smith. All the rest of my knowledge is hearsay and conjecture. There's a lot of hearsay. People told me they don't start planting here in the Buffalo region til after Memorial Day. I have said the hell with that. I don't have any good reason for that, but the hell with it.

This Ed Smith fellow is big on self watering planters. I got a couple. They were like 2 bucks at the dollar store. Which makes no damn sense, but there you go. I also have some hanging planters, cos I'm going for this levels thing. Ed suggests you use hanging containers to keep the plants above the level where animals can get at them. Now I live on main street, so the deer aren't really a problem. Not enough greenery and too many unsavory types for the deer. But I saw a rabbit heading over to the Methodist Church last night.

I don't want to upset the Methodists. No need to start one of those European Style Catholic vs. Protestant things. But they better keep their rabbit to themselves. I'm gonna chalk it up to he was getting to church early on Sunday. Even if it was one of those heathen churches, I suppose it's a good thing, or at least neighborly. There's also a smallish squirrel around here that I've named Maurice. I hear he likes to go into the bar next door. I like to think of him as my pet squirrel, though Michelle is opposed to this. I think she is also opposed to the gangster of love, but cool with space cowboy. Anyway, I'm concerned about Maurice messing with my garden. I think we'll be good though. I'm gonna have to start feeding him.

No comments:

Post a Comment