Saturday, May 30, 2015

Self Watering Containers are Bullshit, but Still Cool

The title says it all. I have to top them off daily. Sometimes a lot. I mean, sometimes they seem EMPTY. Two weeks of water, my ass. But it's all good, because you water the plants the same amount every time. They take what they need. And you don't flood out your plants from above. I've gotten used to watering around my plants, but sometimes you score a direct hit and almost kill the little fucker. (I have a mix of about half 'self watering' and half conventional) So you prop 'em up and hope for the best and usually it all works out ok, but still. Much less stress with the quote-unquote self watering containers. So it's still a buy and all, but this idea that you can water your plants once and leave 'em for two weeks is complete horseshit.

Here in the COT it doesn't rain much or for long, so far. There's enough damn water around. Doesn't even snow as much as you would think, this close to Buffalo. The story is, it's supposed to rain buckets today in WNY. Maybe in Amherst. There's a weather change coming, but I expect it to be a pretty fine day til the sun goes down.

So I have to water my container garden, and I do. Daily. It's like a ritual. Focuses my chi. I got a lot going on now, so it's a lot more watering, but it's all good. I usually do it when I come home from work. Water the plants, pour a cocktail, drop the pow wow chair on the stoop, have a cigarette and oversee my domain.

Your chi needs to be focused, man. Don't buy into any of this self watering bullshit where you put your chi in a box and it focuses itself.

You develop the right inner calm and you aren't an asshole driver. You may drive slow, like you have nowhere to go and all day to get there, but you do it in the right hand lane, and people can pass at will. I'm not even saying you have to focus your chi. Be an asshole driver. Complain about the world's little indignities. Get upset. I don't care. Possibly I could do all this with a healthy dose of marijuana. But I can't grow it on my stoop yet and ... well, look I never even tried it. I'm more a bourbon/whiskey/vodka guy. I don't care. I don't see it as a gateway anything or think it's worse than tobacco. Just, that's not what's focusing the chi.

They're a lot of horseshit, these self watering containers, you still have to water your plants daily. But you fill up the slot and don't create a floodplain and move around the soil. They are not correct in name, but they are good in function. Once you make that distinction, all is right in the world.

1 comment: